Friday, March 30, 2012

Sharp is necessary!

When going out bowhunting it is important to make sure all of your cutting equipment is sharp and ready to use, otherwise you might be having a tough time if you manage to get one down.  Depending on what tools you use when field dressing a deer can dictate how many items you need to make sure are sharp before going out.  I personally have a knife and a gut hook to account for when going out.  I test to make sure my knife is sharp before my first time going out and then after every deer I kill, and a good way to test this is to cut diagonally on a piece of paper.  If the blade cuts all the way down its' length then the blade is sharp but if it only makes a small cut sharpening is needed.  I rely on my knife when I am out hunting so I like it to be razor sharp to make the field dressing process that much quicker and easier.  Now after checking to make sure all the cutting tools you have to field dress a deer are sharp it is also important to check your broadheads as well.  Sharp heads cut through with ease and less drag making the blow a quick deadly cut.  If the heads are sharp enough you might just get to experience shooting a deer and not have it run far and die not too far from where you hit it.  So make sure all of your tools are sharp, you want them to work properly when you need them most.

No comments:

Post a Comment