Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Shot Placement on a Whitetail

Throughout the years that I have been hunting whitetails I have heard of a lot of places to place a shot to successfully harvest a deer.  I have heard shoot for the heart, angled shot towards the lungs through the liver, double lungs, a head on shot through the brisket, the femoral artery in the rear leg, and of course the fabled Texas heart shot a.k.a right up the anus.  Although it all depends on what kind of weapon you are using whether it be a shotgun, rifle, or bow and arrow I have found that the most successful shot a person can place is slightly above the heart where the projectile will damage the heart and lungs making it a very quick death.  Some things i have seen on hunting shows show people hunting with rifles that aim for the shoulder of the animal, this is incredibly effective since what this shot does is breaks both shoulders and takes out the lungs as well allowing the animal a quick death without running away.  Now as for some of the other shots I listed I feel I should tell you some of the disadvantages.  Shooting straight for the heart is the quickest way to kill an animal but it is a rather small organ compared to the lungs.  If you are shooting at that animal and you move a little bit you could hit low and not hit any vital organs thus not harvesting the animal.  Now shooting straight at the brisket is a rather risky shot, although you are guaranteed to hit vital organs you are not guaranteed to recover the animal, since it has a high probability of running after this shot there is only one hole for the animal to bleed from and may not produce a very visible blood trail.  The fabled Texas heart shot is not a very good shot at all really, it will kill the animal but it is not guaranteed to be fast or you finding the animal.  This shot is a very messy clean up as well, the smell will be terrible since your shot went through the entire intestinal area.  Like I said the best shot that I have found is a double lung shot just above the heart when the animal is broadside to inflict maximum damage and a quick recovery.  It cuts two holes through which the animal will bleed out incredibly quickly and there is a higher probability of recovering the animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment