Monday, February 6, 2012

What to do in the off-season

I want to start off by thanking everyone for reading my blogg.  I am an avid outdoors man and love when that time of year comes around that allows me to get back out into the tree stand doing what I love.  But in the off-season I find it very beneficial to practice almost every day, you know what they say that practice makes perfect.  In the eight years that I have been hunting I have tried to get out as much I can and practice with my bow and shotgun.  I used to practice for 3 hours continuously shooting my bow at various distances that were not marked to help me judge distances more effectively.  By doing this I became very confident with my shooting ability and with confidence comes effective shooting.  Now for my gun I was limited to how much practice I could do since the ammunition is not the cheapest thing but I still found time to practice my shooting.  I would shoot up to 15-30 slug rounds at a time 2 or 3 times during the off-season to help train myself to get ready for the slug season.  The practice that I put myself through made me a better shot and has helped me harvest some very nice deer.  I have attached a few pictures here as well which shows that practice sometimes give you great rewards.


First Deer - taken when I was 13 with a Remington 870
10 Point Buck -  gross scored 157 3/4

First Buck with a Bow - taken when I was 16 with a Bowtech Pro 40 with a Freedom Cam 
13 Point Buck - gross scored 139 6/8

Pins showing all the deer i have taken with a bow and gun
25 in all

No comments:

Post a Comment