Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Shotgun Ammunition

There are many types of ammunition for a shotgun each one having its own purpose.  In Illinois you typically hunt deer with a round called a slug.  There are two types of deer ammunition used and they are rifled slugs and sabots.  Rifled slugs are typically used in a smooth bore shotgun and usually have a maximum rang of about 100 yards.  Although the Federal Truball rounds that I have shot the past 4 years have been accurate out too 130 yards and I can say this because I have successfully harvested a deer at that range.  There are so many types of rifled slugs though to name a few: Federal Truball, Remington Sluggers, and Winchester Super X.  The other type of ammunition is a sabot.  The sabot is a jacketed slug that is more accurate that a standard rifled slug.  It is used in rifled barrels for shotguns and is accurate out to 200 yards.  There are also many kinds of sabots as well and to name a few of those:  Lightfield, Federal Barnes Expanders, Hornady, and Remington Accutips.  I have seen a deer taken at that range from my dad, clean shot through the heart and dropped her in her tracks.  Depending on what type of hunting environment that you are in really should help you choose what kind of barrel and slug combination you should use.  If you are in a mainly timber rich area a smooth bore shot gun with rifled slugs would be all you really need, since you should not have a shot over 100 yards in the timber.  But if you are mainly hunting on fence rows then I would recommend a rifled barrel and sabots to shoot the farther distance accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment